Pictures Plus Incorporated
The Framed Art Expert
Top Quality Manufacturing
Framing And Hanging Tips - Cleaning The Glass On Your Pictures
From time to time, you may need to clean the glass covering your pictures. Here’s a few tips for doing it right.
- First, make sure it actually is glass, and not plastic. Acrylic often looks and (if you flick it) sounds just like glass. But regular glass cleaner can emulsify (dissolve) the surface of acrylic, so you always want to use plastic cleaner for acrylic, which you can get at most home improvement stores.
- A good way to tell the difference: get a pin (push pin, straight pin, safety pin, etc) and gently try to push it into the glass, right where it meets the corner of the frame. If it goes in at all, or “sticks”, it’s plastic. If it won’t go in at all, and just slides around, it’s glass.
- Next, if the picture is hanging on the wall, don’t spray the cleaner onto the glass-it can run down the glass, under the lip of the frame and actually soak up into and ruin your artwork or mats. Instead, spray the cleaner onto your cloth or paper towel first, and then clean the glass.
- If the picture covering is acrylic, never use paper towels-they’ll make tiny scratches in the acrylic, and over time it’ll diminish the appearance of the artwork behind it. Instead, use pure cotton rag if at all possible.
- And finally, hold on to the picture with one hand while you’re wiping with the other. It’ll prevent the picture from moving around and making rub marks on the wall.